Thursday, July 30, 2009

New Garden Beds

Hi everyone,

Nature doesn't like bare ground so it would be a good idea to plant the new beds with cover crops as soon as possible before She moves the weeds in to do the job. I would like to plant cover crops right away to fill up the beds. They can be dug in during early Fall or left through the winter to protect the soil and raked off in Spring.

Practically anything can be used as long as we sow it densely. I have a lot of spinach and arugula (domestic & wild). We can also easily get some of the more commonly sown cover crops seeds:
- oats
- buckwheat
- alfalfa
- field peas
- canola
- barley

It will only take about an hour or so to plant all 20 plots. Let me know what you all think - if you have any preferences for any type of cover crop, etc. I'm aiming to have this in by next week.

We also need to number the boxes. The numbers on the older boxes could also be refreshed. I'm guessing they were painted on using a stencil. I'll look into getting that next time I'm in Home Depot.

No comments:

Post a Comment